Thursday, February 16, 2012

I am my own pet peeve.

New Yorkers tend to move at a fast pace. I, like many of my fellow Manhattanites, am peeved by people who don’t obey the unspoken “stand to the right, walk to the left” escalator rule or who meander down the sidewalk, 5 people wide. It’s not that I’m always in a rush, or that I want to be rude, it’s just that I appreciate efficiency. I can stroll with the best of them, but sometimes I’m squeezing a lot into a little time, or I just want to get where I’m going and slow pokes get in the way!

WELL… this week has been quite the eye opener. I have returned to the real world and Gimpy over here moves SLOW. And as if the knee brace fashion faux pas, limited mobility and discomfort aren’t enough, now I have people throwing me looks!!! They’re all “hey lady, if you can’t handle the speed get off the sidewalk!” Today an SUV trying to make a turn actually honked at me to get out of the way while I was trying to hail a cab!! I realize now how disorienting and rude all these rushy people can seem! 

Have you ever been on the other side of a pet peeve and realized that it's rotten over there too? I don't like slow moving people when I'm in a rush, but I don't like rushy people when I need to move slow! I am my own pet peeve. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment