Thursday, May 22, 2014

Strange (Healthy) Snacks.

Mmm...
Recently I confessed to Dr. H that I love pork rinds. Specifically BBQ seasoned pork rinds (available for 99 cents per bag and the perfect solution for your late afternoon "I want something crunchy, crappy and snacky" right nows). I know, I know, you are probably cringing "pork rinds!?!"... allow me to stand in defense of these cripsy delights: 
1) a 1-ounce serving of pork rinds contains 0 carbs, 17 grams of protein and just 9 grams of fat. To compare, that's 9 times the protein and way less fat than your average carb-laden snack size bag of potato chips (source)
2) 43% of pork rind's fat is unsaturated and most of that is oleic acid which is the "healthy fat" people praise olive oil for!
3) BBQ seasoned pork rinds taste delicious! They are far less greasy than chips and have an airy quality that doesn't sit guilt-ily in your stomach after eating

So sure, judge me all you want for the pig skins, but as far as snack choices go, pork rinds definitely should have your consideration!! As for other "strange snacks" I enjoy:
- beef jerky: again, super high in protein (which keeps you satisfied longer!), no fat, few carbs and tons of flavor. Plus, it's sold in 100 calorie packs!!
- wasabi soy almonds: protein and flavor... a bit higher in fat, but like pork rinds it's the healthier kind of fat (which FYI my body loves all fat equally, (right on my hips) so I try to snack on these a little more discerningly)
- hard boiled eggs: are you sensing a low carb/high protein theme here?
- pickles: like eating flavored air

What about you? Do you have any strange, but healthy snacks that you're willing to share in the light of day?

No comments:

Post a Comment