Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Just say goodbye (to just)

This just has to be goodbye!
Not too long ago, I shared this link which had some fantastic career tips from female entrepreneurs. I read the lengthy post all the way through and not shockingly, only 1 or 2 of the tips actually stuck with me (I have terrible retention for things I read/watch) but what stuck, REALLY stuck. Specifically, tip #3 from Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stuffs of FOOD52"Eliminate the word "just" from your vocabulary—as in "Just checking on this!" You'll immediately feel more confident."

Have you ever stopped to examine your writing, especially work emails, to see how often you say "just"? I haven't been able to stop doing it since I read that tip and holy whoa do I say "just" a lot. "Just a friendly reminder...", "I just wanted to share...", "I just thought that..." And you know what? Hesser and Stuffs are totally right! When you eliminate that pesky little "just" you immediately sound stronger, more confident and certainly more direct.

So is there still a time and a place for "just" in our lives? Of course. We [just] need to remember that sometimes we should [just] say it directly instead of beating around the bush!

No comments:

Post a Comment