Monday, June 11, 2012

The sand, the sea and me

Not my (beach) bum.
Have I ever mentioned my love affair with the beach? How there is nothing that soothes me, delights me and brings a smile to my face more than the smell of the sea and the feel of the sand beneath my toes? Maybe once or twice:) Since I cut "summer week" short by a day (and I've got serious beach brain after an amazing seaside weekend!) I thought I would share some of my favorite beach getaways (Note: I could go on FOREVER about this topic, so the list is by no means comprehensive!!!) 

* Fire Island, NY
New York, a world away from the Empire State Building
Located across the Great South Bay from the southern shore of Long Island, I spent my childhood weekends soaking up sun on Fire Island. The car-less island is filled with lots of different "towns" each with their own feel and scene from boaters with families to post-college co-eds looking to revisit the young life. And most importantly, the beach is a stunna.

* Santa Monica, CA
Beauty by the pier.
One of my favorite girlies lives a short walk from this west coast beauty and I don't think it gets much better than that! An awesome combination of seashore, delicious dining and entertainment, the beach in Santa Monica (and the stroll from there to nearby Venice) is one of my favorites I've ever visited. 

* South Beach, FL
Retro glam Miami
Turquoise water, soft white sand, a row of palm trees and then a retro chic strip of amazing shops and restaurants... that's what coming ashore in Miami will get you. There's the sexy bar scene, the cultural flavor and sunshine for days. Just a quick flight from NYC, I hope to spend more time in Miami in the years to come.

* Southampton, NY
I'm a biased long island girl - our beaches really are the tops.
At the end of Dune Road's incomparable strip of beach houses is (in my humble, but beach loving opinion) long island's most awesome beach. Cupsogue Beach is beautiful and it has a great beachy bar and seafood stand to keep you going all day long. Though it may be missing Miami's palm trees, the endless sand and fresh summer scene will have you coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment