Monday, June 18, 2012

based on the novel.

I heart a good book.
Growing up, my mom had a rule that I could not see a movie that was based on a book unless I read the book first. I don't know where she got this rule, or what made her decide to stick to it so staunchly, but I'll never forget seeing The Little Princess movie (based on a favorite childhood book) and being FURIOUS at what a terrible adaptation it was. Things were changed, important details were overlooked and it just generally did not do the author's fine work justice. 

I mention this because right now I am reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and I freaking LOVE it (if you are like me and somehow overlooked this book as a 90s teenager, get it now).  I suppose I could be embarassed that the reason I am finally reading this book is that it's been made into a movie which Hermoine Granger (aka, Emma Watson:) is starring in (so obviously I plan to see it), but I'm not. Whatever it takes to make the time to read a good book is fine with me. Whether it's because the books are almost always better, or because reading is wonderful... Mom was totally right (doesn't it always work out that way!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment