Tuesday, August 14, 2012

But are you going to work?

This is not real life (except the heels of course).
Lately I've been doing A LOT of thinking about what my life will look like as a parent. NO I am not becoming a parent any time soon and NO I'm not developing baby brain (still purely puppy focused thank you very much) but nearly three years into my "working life" (thanks for the delayed start law school!) I've been thinking a lot about my "career track". Poised to grow in whatever direction I please professionally (for which I am thankful and grateful every.single.day.) my career compass can't help but consider whatever direction I will want to go in once raising a child becomes part of the picture. We ladies are blessed with maternal instinct and unprecedented opportunities in the work force which is a bit of curse if you're a die-hard "planner" like myself.

Much like my pondering the right time to have a baby, I wonder (without any expectation of finding an answer) how to steer a career that will someday have stiff competition for my attention from a totally-awesome (duh) miniature family member. How do you plan for something that you cannot predict in time OR emotion? Do you throw caution to the wind and hope that when the occasion arises you'll know what to do, or is it better to start thinking ahead of time about what you want? It all feels very impossible to determine at the moment. For now I suppose, I will just keep enjoying the 9 to 5 hustle (9 to 5!?) and wonder what the future will hold for me and my merry minion.

P to the S: For more on balancing work and motherhood, check out Cup of Jo's recent (awesomely interesting) interview series with some super-powerful mamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment