Tuesday, April 21, 2015

On fleek. Seriously..? NO.

Ummm, but WHY!?
I would like to officially register a complaint with the creators of all things hip and slang regarding the term "on fleek". On fleek, really? What the hell does that even mean and why does it seem to apply to everything, but especially eyebrows!?

According to Urban Dictionary, "On Fleek" can be defined as the quality of being perfect, or on point

Now I can get behind "on point", I use it often, but fleek!? Why? How? My uncool, old lady, down-the-rabbit-hole-ness continued (because I don't think one can claim any degree of coolness when searching for the meaning and origins of current slang terms) when I found this very informative article (which also provided some comfort because turns out I'm not alone in my geekiness):

"So where exactly did fleek come from? And why are eyebrows, even now, still the things that are most often said to be on fleek? One article on PopSugar.com suggests an answer for these questions: Fleek—which is a variation of "flick," a word well known to makeup-lovers—is when eyebrows are perfectly groomed, filled, and shaped."
Who knew right!? And how did "on fleek" explode into our popular lexicon you ask? Well my friends over at VisualThesaurus were able to explain that too! They write "[On fleek] isn't recorded again until June 21, 2014, when a young black woman named Peaches Monroee (yes, with two E's) uploaded an eight-second video to Vine. In the video, she seems to be preparing to go out and have a good time, and halfway through, she asserts that her eyebrows are "on fleek." The video went viral, and it now has more than 27 million views."

The article goes on, showing proof of just how huge being "on fleek" is now adays, from musicians rapping it to Denny's tweeting it (about their hashbrowns. Seriously.) but I'm just not sure I can jump on the bandwagon... Apparently when it comes to what the cool kids are saying these days, I'm am seriously not on fleek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment