Tuesday, March 31, 2015

You've Gato go to Gato

One of my favorite things about living in NYC is that one day you can be walking down a street you always walk down and suddenly there's something brand new and cool there that wasn't just a day before. Enter Gato, a restaurant I noticed immediately last summer when its chic storefront on Lafayette St. suddenly appeared along the walk between my spin studio and the subway. 6+ months of failed attempts to dine there later (I do not suggest trying to just walk-in or secure a "normal" dinner time reservation day-of) I am here to tell you that you've gato go to Gato (God I love puns!!)

Gato turns out to be a Bobby Flay joint, artfully decorated in a very Soho, industrial chic style with a gorgeous bar, windowed kitchen and a floor so gorg I actually got tile envy.
Ambiance is everything dahling.
The menu is priced somewhere above reasonable and below expensive (aka, Manhattan-y) and filled with inventive and unique "New Mediterranean" cuisine from a tapas list to funky topping'ed pizzas,  "spreads" with pita and a breadth of entree and vegetable side options. I found it nearly impossible to decide what to order, but between Dr. H and I we settled on the White Chicory Salad, Pizza with Lamb Sausage (appetizer-me-up!), the Porterhouse Pork Chop and the Kale and Wild Mushroom Paella (so f'ing unique and good I will have to fight the urge to re-order this every time I go back).
Who knew a vegetable paella could be so sexy!!?
With a chic and lively atmosphere ("loud" as your parents might call it), gorgeous setting and a menu jam-packed with items worth ordering, I am already looking forward to my next trip to Gato. I suggest making reservations early, heading over on a weeknight (5:30 and 9:30pm still available for tonight) or being flexible about your dining time on a weekend (we booked a 10pm table just a few hours before heading over). Plus, it's been reported that Bobby is often in the kitchen cooking, so be on the lookout for your very own celebrity chef siting!

No comments:

Post a Comment