Monday, October 21, 2013

Healthy Habit of the Month X.

So bright. So refreshing.
This post is the tenth installment of SeektobeMerry's "Healthy Habit of the Month" series. Sourced from my bff's at Weight Watchers, online articles and my own efforts to keep fit and trim, throughout 2013, I will attempt to integrate one new healthy habit into my life each month. Join me!

Another month gone by, another chance to check in and see how healthy we're feeling. For me, this is always a difficult time of year - as I pull out the warmer (bulkier) clothing and gravitate towards hardier meals, I also seem to have less free time for exercising (fall is always so busy!) and less motivation to "make the right decision" when it comes to what I eat. October's lack of focus leads to November's holiday feast and then before you know it we're surrounded by holiday party booze and h'ordeuvres reaching without thought for another round of peppermint bark (yum). With so much going on, I thought we'd benefit from a super easy and (supposedly) highly beneficial new daily habit...

Healthy Habit of the Month #10: Rise & Shine with Lemon Water
Once upon a time I incorporated a cup of hot lemon water into my morning routine and while 
it lasted (errr... 2 weeks?) it was good. You see, lemons are packed with nutrients, including vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber and research shows that consuming some lemon right after waking up is really good for you: "This is the best thing to consume upon waking, as it flushes the kidneys and the liver and alkalizes the blood. It also allows you to tune into whether or not you're really hungry." Lemon water has also been shown to de-bloat you, flush out the toxins in your body (by enhancing enzyme function, stimulating your liver), improve complexion annnnnd aid with weight loss!!! (because of pectin fiber's presence in lemon, lemon water has the effect of reducing your hunger). Is this not the easiest and most wonderful idea? This month, vow to start every day with a glass of lemon water and get ready to feel like a brighter, lighter you!! (More information and sources for my factoids HEREHERE and HERE).

Be sure to check out past "Healthy Habit of the Month" posts here: 
Month 1: Adding a fruit or vegetable to every meal
Month 2: Schedule a workout
Month 3: Find an accountability buddy
Month 4: Keep track (of your movement)
Month 5: Challenge yourself
Month 6: 1 Perfect Week
Month 7: Sleep on it
Month 8: Pack a Snack
- Month 9: Drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment